Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Warning...

I rant a bit in this post...

I've been spending a lot of time doing "office work." I've been plunging through files and files of home visit recounts, artwork, school fee receipts and report cards.

I am PUMPED to create a global-wide system for HEALS and SOMO to communicate, keep track of fees, progress of kids and more! It is going to rock!

Does anyone have any experience in creating an operating/management system? I'd love love love your insight!

Amidst my excel mania (I love spreadsheets!) I have been baffled by the reality of education here...

I started researching this to get a better grasp- check it out.

US Per capita income: $28,000
School: free
% of income (not counting taxes): 0%

UG Per capita income: $460
School: avg. $100 PER CHILD! (and that doesn't count these "additional fees" tacked on)
% of income (not including taxes) 22%
7.1 kids per mom (ya, I know, might be part of the problem...)

This would be like asking EVERY American to pay $7,000 per year for school - no wiggle room.

The Hillsdale in me says Govt. is NOT the answer- but MAN has it helped me. God BLESS public schools. God BLESS free and reduced lunch. Blessings on FAFSA.

Ok- done ranting...sort of.

I've been feeling very white lately and its not because I got toasted by the sun yesterday.

You see, when you are Mzungu/Mono (white person) in Gulu, most people stare. There are a good bit of Mzungu's here, but the white man is looked at as a walking wallet with cash flowing out.

Having come before I figured I would be used to it. But no. I feel like I am contributing to this mindset just by being here. After all, I'm here because they don't have money and I do. White people mean problem solvers. Funders. School fee payers. Church builders. Aid. So what else should I expect.

I walked to HEALS today and I just wanted to run and hide. Every kid that yelled, "Mono HI" or woman that pointed, I just felt gross.

But then I went to HEALS and got to be in the midst of this...






And then I introduced Tex-Mex to Monica- FAJITAS!






I am thankful God is sovereign. I'd love prayer for peace that passes understanding- because I am CONFUSED!

1 comment:

  1. Heidi! I'm so so excited for you and I love reading your updates....but at the same time it's killing me! My heart is aching because I want to be there so badly, yet it feels so far away until I will be able.
    But anyway, I am praying for you and the kids. Give them all hugs for me and tell Fred and Winnie that I miss them (even though they won't understand you). I can't imagine how big they've gotten! Is Denis still there?!?!
    I'm sorry I never got that check to you...I'm an air-head. If you send me your address there I can still do that for you.
    I know God is going to do AMAZING things through you while you're there. You have incredible drive and vision for change.
    Anyway, keep up the blogging cuz I can't wait to hear what you're doing! God bless!

    ReplyDelete