Wednesday, September 14, 2011

New shoes, dinner with a hero and flies in the toilet

Yup, that was my day today.












After I finally found my PIN code (minor freak out moment), retrieved money and bought a Ugandan cell phone, I took a Boda to Monyonyo (Mone-yone-yo) to visit the Sseko warehouse.






Sseko Sandals are handmade sandals by women in Uganda. I'm wearing my leather-sole, bring orange ones right now! Sarah Contrucci, their product development intern showed me around! I finished the tour buying my very own Ssekos! I then came back to Jolly and Emmy's and sat out the terrential rain before meeting up with Bboy Abramz for "lunch" (it was 4pm at this point). We went to eat Ethiopian.
This is what I had (that white stuff on the bottom is bread):




Abramz had spaghetti (boring).







Abramz started Breakdance Project Uganda in Kampala. He is a legit underground hip-hop/rapper. He was born and raised in Kampala. He sat there and told me how it's not about getting known or making money, its about reaching kids and changing lives. His outlet is hip-hop.






I can't do an adequate recount of our conversation, but I just sat there feeling about an inch tall. This man is amazing.





For all of you wondering: he is 28, available, a sick dancer and my new crush.



Joking!



OH- I almost forgot. The flies!!





If you know me at all, you might know that I have a terribly weak bladder. Well, I couldn't wait any longer at dinner with Abramz so I asked the sweet Ethiopian lady if there was a bathroom. She pointed to a little shack. (inhale)- I've experienced those before. I asked her if there was toilet paper, (you usually have to provide your own). She rummaged through her purse and scrounged up a crinkly stream of TP. Now, I pride myself for having necessities (like deoderant) at all times in my purse, but she had just put me to shame. So, I walked back in a stride that didn't let on to the "this is going to suck" feeling I was having. I opened the stall to a fly-party. "Lovely," I thought. I'll leave the rest to your imagination.
































Yes. I did wash my hands afterwards. Took tea and had a wonderful rest of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment