Tuesday, September 27, 2011

So much to do, so little time

First off- sorry for the double post, technical glitch.

Second- Sorry for no pics. Power is limited, so I'll submit them later.

Did I tell you all that I got lost running the other day. I literally ended up in a circle of huts. Hard to look like you know what you are doing when you have no outlet, are white and wearing short running shorts. But I gave it my best go, did a small loop around the huts and headed back the way I came, thinking to myself, "where the heck am I." I felt like a Lion running around, people were calling their kids out of the huts to come look at the Mzungu running by. Kids would swipe me as I passed. I kept trying to find desolate roads, but wound up in spots where it was even weirder for a mzungu to be around. Whatevs- I gave them all something to talk about.

My time here is ticking. I'm not sure when I will be back to Gulu. Half the time I feel like would be ok if it was for quite a while. But when I'm running around town with Judith gathering beads and visiting tailors, eating dinner and talking about our very different upbringings with Monica and Germina, sitting by a fire looking up at the stars in the clear clear African sky and most of all dancing with the kids - I get eager to return soon.

I comfort myself by concluding kids are the same everywhere, but there is something in the spirit of an Acholi that is so loving and irreplacable. It's really evident in the kids. You can see their desire to contribute to their society for the better. There is a great respect put on your fellow human being as well. Whether they take time to talk to everyone as they pass or tending to a kids that isn't their own. They love being an Acholi. There are no boundaries in this culture. Factors such as no electricity, outdoor kitchens, bathrooms and no car contribute to being out and about, mingling your entire life.

Anyhow...yesterday I danced my FIRST ACHOLI DANCE! In this one girls went and picked a man. I picked Oyat Emmy. During the dance I felt so African I literally was taken aback when I swung my arm out and it was white. I got to a point where it would have made more sense to me to see my skin as black. HA! By the end of the dance, every boy was fighting for my love! I think I will try this dance in the States at my soonest opportunity- might help me find a suitor!

Yesterday and today consisted of beading with Margaret, Margaret and Concy. Today, as well, at 9am sharp, the HEALS kids swarmed in to draw pictures (thanks Janie!) and finish interviews. I taught a few of them baseball. They are good! We did have 1 swollen eye by the end. He'll live.

We are having a huge party Saturday at HEALS. Parents are coming for the first time to see their kids dance. We aren't sure if we will do Samosas or just donuts and bananas...donuts and bananas are cheaper, thus they have my vote. We'd like to get them all Soda too...it'll be quite the event! Kids were stoked when we announced it today.

Goal for the last days: eat as many avocados and sweet bananas as I can - had 3 bananas and half an avocado today.

Oh! It has been a crazy experience trudging around Gulu to visit the bead artisans and purchase beads. Our movement and activity has spread about Gulu. Judith has been approached by about 2-3 bead makers a day who have "heard she buys beads" or with the question, "where is your mzungu?" Today a women found us at the office to inquire.

Guess what- I had to "fire" a girl today. She was heading up the Education Program, but wasn't really doing anything, at all. So, Jolly, Tom and I decided that it'd be best to allocate the responsibilities to another volunteer. She didn't seem to mind. It was quite painless. I think I was more devastated than her.

Power just went out. Gotta conserve. Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment