Monday, October 10, 2011

Ciao!

Well friends, I am home. This current adventure is over. So to sign off I wanted to end with an explanation of what I actually did while I was there - productivity-wise. You've heard my stories, but I wanted to be sure you knew what was accomplished in my journey.

At HEALS...
[HEALS is a Ugandan NGO that provides school fees, play therapy and educational support to children in Northern Uganda]
I met the kids and staff of the program.
I developed and launched a system for them to track a child's educational progress and assess his/her needs.
I created a checks and balance system for the NGO's expenses.
I interviewed all the children in HEALS - a fun way to capture their personality.
I visited every school that the children attend and obtained past records and saw how each school functions.

With SOMO...
[SOMO is a Texas-based LLC that provides the actual funds for the school fees of the HEALS' kids through the sales of necklaces made by Ugandan women]
I recorded the bead making process.
I met the women who make the beads.
I purchased many necklaces for SOMO.
I created and launched a system for routine order and delivery between SOMO and the artisans.
I did a few photo shoots with HEALS girls wearing SOMObeads.
I discovered two potential partnerships for SOMO product development.

With me...
[Heidi Schroeder - a 24-year old lucky duck that still can't believe her bosses are so awesome to have let her go to Uganda]
I saw the good, the bad and the ugly.
I realized I have a lot to learn!
I crossed Bunjee Jumping off my list
I got to see London (stopped over for a few days).
I grew a new appreciation for my beloved democratic nation: America

I am praying and processing through this past month...I am not yet sure what God would have me take away from it, but I know He will reveal soon.

I'd love any and all feedback, advice and thoughts. Also- if you have any questions or want to know anything else.

Thank you for reading! I'll leave you with a few pictures from the last stop on my journey.


1 comment: